The Notes App
You know, I only recently began using the notes app on my phone, and I feel kind of stupid. Like the clock or the Galaxy Shop app, it was one of those apps that my brain would just gloss over. It took up none of the space in my mind, and I forgot it even existed at all.
The idea came to me when I saw Struthless's micro-journalling video, where Cam replaced social media with micro-journalling for a year. While I haven't been able to replicate that, it did help me start my journalling habit by giving me a way to write journal entries when I can't just pull out a notebook. Also, I figured I could also being jotting down other things, like my creative thoughts, and things I needed to keep track of, and my life ended up becoming a little easier.
I feel like this being a blindspot goes to show how perfectionism can affect you even if you don't really deem yourself perfect. Somehow, using the notes app on my phone to journal, or write, or whatever didn't feel like the 'proper' way to do things. Unlike writing in fancy shmancy notebooks or on a computer while drinking coffee, it doesn't really feel like it should count. Except it's still writing, it still builds that habit, and it's a good way to lower the bar when you don't really have a consistent habit of writing yet.
So, try looking for ways to lower the bar. Take something like a flashcards app. You might not want to depend on them for studying, but they do get you into the mood. Or an artist could keep a sketchbook to sketch in when it's not convenient for them to make a full drawing. Anything that could serve as a "mini" version of whatever you want to do will make it easier to do the "real" thing. Or, maybe the "mini" activity is all you need.
True...
ReplyDelete